It's been a long time since I've provided an update on the car, I've been making steady progress but have not been documenting it on here... so it's time to get you caught up.
After the oven cleaner "cleaning" started to address some of the other problem areas that were hidden under 28+ years of JDM grime. First up was the cover that mounts between the two camshaft covers. This little plastic cover protects the spark plug wires and cleans up the look of the engine. As you can see the cover had seen better days it was warped and cracked and looked terrible.
The little aluminum plate that sat on the cover also needed some love, it was worn and stained
I ordered a new cover, but the plate itself is no longer being made, so I decided to fix it with some elbow grease. I sanded off the old logo and polished the aluminum until it looked as good as new. Had a buddy create a replacement decal for the plate.
Up next was refurbishing some of the hard coolant lines that ran on the front of the engine. Pulled the hard lines, degreased and cleaned, then sanded down in prep for paint
Painted the part with Rustoleum flat black paint
Next decided to tackle the timing belt cover, this was in pretty rough shape as well.
I had ordered a new one from Suzuki, but decided it was a little plain, so wanted to "spice" things up. I taped off the front and had my wife paint the letters
Next decided to take out the turbo to check on its health, and all of the related components... check out this size of this thing
The turbo was covered in grime, but looked to be in good shape, so I cleaned it as best I could
One part that did need to be addressed was the coolant lines to the turbo, they were pretty corroded and had some pinholes due to rust
Dropped the part in an old pot filled with CLR to get rid of the rust, then cut off the corroded portions and used a flare tool to recreate the flared ends
We were now entering the summer months, which can be pretty unberable here in Texas... so one of the advantages of having a tiny engine, is that you can put it on a $10 furniture dolly and roll it into your living room (I have a very understanding wife)
Now I can wrench on the engine in comfort all while watching Roadkill!
Next I took off of the timing belt cover in preperation for it's replacement
As I also needed to replace the gaskets on the camshaft covers, I needed to take off the cam gears and timing belt cover backing plate as well
Things were pretty grimy, and evidence of the oil leaking from the camshaft covers was evident
I then reomoved the cam covers, and as can be seen here, the gaskets were beyond flat... in several areas they didn't even extend past the metal case. Oil easily seeped past the gaskets and leaked all over both sides of the engine.
Up next was the water pump, I was expecting to find some gunk in there due to the sediment and rusty water/coolant I had found in other areas... but I was not prepared for the nastiness I found
As best I can guess, someone ran this thing on regular tap water... and an iron block with tap water just don't mix. I did the best I could to clean out the gunk, I don't want to clog my new radiator. Once I get the camshaft covers, and intake manifold back on, I am going to wheel the engine outside and try and flush out the coolant passages as best I can.
Now it was time to move on to some suspension components. The sway bar endlinks were trashed, so I removed them and replaced them with new OEM parts
That pretty much brings us to current day... coming up I will be replacing the motor mounts, installing new water pump and timing belt tensioner, and putting the engine back together.